information for businesses and employers
Information and guidance for businesses and employers: Working with Tomlinscote
Our young people are entering into an increasingly competitive and quickly evolving jobs market at a time of great financial and political uncertainty. We aim to help every student to reach their full potential and progress on to a successful destination by providing them with the widest possible range of employer and careers related opportunities throughout their time with us in Years 7-11. Our comprehensive careers programme aims to ensure that all students have access to as many possible engagements with businesses and employers through a wide range of activities.
Consequently, we are delighted to announce that Tomlinscote School is working towards achieving the prestigious ‘Quality in Careers Standard’ which is national recognition of the work a school does in its careers education and guidance programme. The Standard, one of the highest accolades an organisation can receive for excellence in this area of work, is aligned with the eight Gatsby Benchmarks for Good Careers Guidance and fully complies with the Department for Education's statutory guidance. In 2023/24, the school is working with a national accreditation provider and assessment centre to meet all of the standards required to achieve this national award. We believe what we do here at Tomlinscote is ‘gold standard’ in terms of preparing our young people for their futures and we are working towards achieving national recognition for this throughout this academic year. We would be delighted if you would join us on our journey to achieve this goal.
If your business or company is willing to help support this, please see the possible ways in which you might get involved below. If you are able to offer any assistance in these areas then please get in contact with the Careers Lead (Ms H Livesey, Assistant Principal – Transition and Progression) at: email@example.com
We value the help and support of businesses to ensure that every child leaves us aspiring towards and equipped for a happy and successful future.
Ways that businesses and employers can help Tomlinscote students:
- Whole year group assemblies about their company/their industry sector/general employability skills
- Smaller group workshops or focus groups related to a particular sector/industry/employability skills
- Career insight talks to groups of students
- Year 9 Enterprise Day - this is held annually, during the Spring 1 term. Students take part in an enterprise activity for the day, supported by business volunteers
- STEM workshops/practical activities/challenges
- Interview preparation
- Work experience – on an annual basis, all of our Year 10s go out on ‘work experience’ week in June and we are always keen to extend our links with local companies who are willing to host our students
- Sponsorship – we run charity-based events throughout the year - we would love to have sponsorship from local companies or businesses
Online resource for businesses: https://resources.careersandenterprise.co.uk/resources/employers-guide-supported-employment