Statement of Curriculum Intent
Here at Tomlinscote, we promote personal wellbeing and development through a comprehensive Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) education programme. PSHE education is the curriculum subject that gives young people the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and practical skills to live safe, healthy, productive lives and meet their full potential.
This incorporates our RSE curriculum which covers a range of topics that support individuals in safe and healthy relationships including sexual health and other form of relationships.
- Students develop knowledge of families, including what are stable and healthy relationships and different types of long-term relationships and family structure.
- Students develop an understanding of respectful treatment of all, including the harm stereotyping does and how to resolve conflict.
- They are made aware of protected characteristics and the law.
- Students are made aware of how to deal with cohesive, controlling or harassing behaviours.
- They cover a range of topics based on online safety including how to behave online and protect personal information.
- Students cover topics in personal safety, including unwanted attention and abuse.
- Students develop an understanding of how to support good sexual health, including safe sex, STIs and consent.
- They also cover pregnancy, breastfeeding and unwanted pregnancy.
- Students develop an understanding of the law, community and identity.