Statement of Curriculum Intent
Physical Education students will be inspired by success and excel in sport and exercise activities. Students will be provided with opportunities to compete in sport, develop healthy lifestyle habits and develop a love of exercise and learning through exercise. Students will improve their technical practical abilities alongside developing their character by taking part in activities that embed ideas of fairness, respect and teamwork.
This means they will be able to:
- Develop the knowledge, skills and habits to lead healthy, active lifestyles.
- Develop the skills needed to perform with confidence in a variety of physical activities and sports.
- Make a sustained contribution to a performance or bout of exercise.
- Take part in competitive sport in lessons and as part of the extra-curricular programme.
- Take part in activities in challenging and adventurous environments (e.g. orienteering).
- Analyse their own and/or others’ performances and demonstrate improvements to achieve their personal best.
- Use exercise and sport to develop social skills such as respect, sportsmanship resilience and teamwork.
The Physical Education Faculty at Tomlinscote prides itself on the success of our students and the hard work both staff and students put in to achieve the reputation we have in both curriculum and extra-curricular activities. Staff have worked exceptionally hard to provide a platform for every student to succeed regardless of Key Stage, prior attainment or experience.
In terms of extra-curricular delivery, we offer an extensive range of activities such as netball, fitness, rugby, football, cross country, basketball, table tennis, badminton, trampolining, sportshall athletics, rounders, tennis, cricket and athletics. We are very proud of our local, regional and national reputation, especially cross country where we have qualified for the National Finals in 5 of the last 6 years. This has included 3 top 4 finishes in England across the age groups. In addition we have reached several regional finals in athletics as well as county and being district champions in badminton, netball, football, sportshall athletics and tennis.
Curious about the Curriculum?
Discover something new here.