Statement of Curriculum Intent
Physical Education students will be inspired to excel in sports and exercise activities. This will be achieved through our Fit4Life approach, where we teach and assess all activities around our four core strands; performance in sport/exercise, teamwork in sport/exercise, attitude towards sport/exercise, and knowledge of the key skills/content to exercise confidently. Through this, we aim to inspire students to:
- Develop the knowledge, skills and habits to lead healthy, active lifestyles.
- Develop the skills needed to perform with confidence in a variety of physical activities and sports.
- Make a sustained contribution to a performance or bout of exercise.
- Take part in competitive sports in lessons and as part of the extracurricular programme.
- Take part in activities in challenging and adventurous environments (e.g. orienteering).
- Analyse their own and/or others’ performances and demonstrate improvements to achieve their personal best.
- Use exercise and sports to develop social skills such as respect, sportsmanship resilience and teamwork.
Students will be provided with opportunities to compete in sports, develop healthy lifestyle habits and develop a love of exercise and learning through exercise. Students will improve their technical and practical abilities alongside developing their character by taking part in activities that embed ideas of fairness, respect and teamwork.
The Physical Education Faculty at Tomlinscote prides itself on the success of our students and the hard work both staff and students put in to achieve the reputation we have in both curriculum and extracurricular activities. Staff have worked exceptionally hard to provide a platform for every student to succeed regardless of Key Stage, prior attainment, or experience.
In terms of extracurricular delivery, we offer an extensive range of activities such as netball, fitness, rugby, football, cross-country, basketball, table tennis, badminton, trampolining, sportshall athletics, rounders, tennis, cricket, dodgeball and athletics. We are very proud of our students who have developed a local, regional and national reputation for excelling in a range of competitive activities. Currently, our extracurricular programme is one of the most extensive in our region, and we are passionate about providing students with a broad menu of opportunities that underpins our main goal of all students developing lifelong healthy, active habits.
Curious about the Curriculum?
Discover something new here.